Switched Off Sundays - Spending Time Away From the Screen

Sunday, September 25, 2016


I often feel as though technology and the Internet can consume us and take over our lives. Constantly throughout the day, people are reaching for their phones to take Instagram-worthy pics of their mundane activities and scrolling through Twitter as to not miss out on the latest online gossip. It's gotten to a point where we're living our lives through our phone screens, instead of experiencing them first-hand. I decided that I wanted a break from this every once in a while and step away from my phone, even if it's just for a few hours. Although this is a rare occurrence for me, I'm hoping that I'll be able to implement this more into my daily life over the course of the next few months. Below I have shared my top 5 things to do away from technology, which will hopefully inspire you to try and switch off as well.

Read a book
My favourite thing to do when spending time away from technology is to read a book, as this is a huge hobby of mine and always has been. I understand that some people prefer using a Kindle or iBooks, but you have to admit that there's something special about picking up a crisp, new novel and settling down to read. Although I prefer to read before I go to sleep, any time of the day is ideal, especially if the weather is bad and you want to get cosy inside. I love engrossing myself in a good book and it feels rewarding to see how many pages you've read opposed to just blindly scrolling through social media. There are definitely books out there for everyone, regardless of what your interests are, so if you're looking to switch off this Sunday then my first recommendation would definitely be to read.

Try a new hobby
Using phones and computers can become a major distraction and quite often leads to people neglecting their other hobbies. When switching off from technology, I try to make an effort to do all of the other things that I enjoy and making time for these activities. I love to sing, dance and play keyboard, so these will definitely be some of the first things that I do when I'm not on my phone. I've also recently started bullet journaling, in an attempt to be more organised yet creative at the same time, so I can work on some of these pages when I'm not on my phone. Now is also the perfect time to take up a new hobby and do something that you've never tried, such as baking, sports or painting just to name a few.

Get some fresh air
I personally hate the feeling of being trapped inside and not leaving the house for days on end, but when you're addicted to a computer or even watching television, it can be hard to break away from this. If you're spending time away from technology then use it to go outdoors and appreciate your surroundings, rather than being couped up indoors for another day. Many of the hobbies listed above could be done outside, or if you'd prefer something simpler then why not walk your dog or take a trip to the local shops? There's plenty for everyone to do outside when you aren't wasting it on your phone.

Have a pamper evening
Although I love to reward myself by watching a YouTube video or an episode of GBBO, it's also important to reward yourself away from technology and feel good even with the absence of your phone. The perfect way to do this is by having a pamper evening. Lighting some candles is perfect for creating a relaxing atmosphere and a lingering scent in the room that will help you to wind down. I personally like to pamper myself by getting in a warm bath (maybe with a Lush bath bomb if I'm going all-out), reading a good book and having a sweet treat like chocolate or cake. It's the perfect way to take time away from social media and focus on yourself, and you'll definitely feel the benefits of this well-deserved relaxation session.

Spend time with friends or family
If you're departing from your phone, even just for the day, then you may find yourself drifting into boredom at times. The best way to cure this is to spend time with other people, such as your family and friends. Whether you've got exciting plans together or just want to have a chat, it's a great way to catch up on everything going on outside of your phone screen and spend quality time with the people you love. Without your phone, you can give them your undivided attention, which will make your time with them that much more special.

I hope that this post inspired you to take a step back from technology, even if it's just occasionally, and hopefully some of these ideas will be useful. If there's anything you like to do in particular when turning off your phone and TV then let me know down in the comments as I'd love to know and possibly try some of them. Thanks for reading this post and I'll see you next Sunday!

Love from Daisy x

1 comment

  1. Good ideas here, sometimes when I'm having a stressful or bad mental health day I'll take a long bath and pamper myself. I also find adult colouring books very therapeutic.
    Kim | chimmyville.co.uk

    ReplyDelete