Daisy Recommends: Five Young Adult Contemporary Novels

Sunday, June 26, 2016


A number of my book-related blog posts tend to be reviews, which can be really helpful if someone is considering reading a book yet wants to know more beforehand. However, I understand that some people may have no idea where to even start looking, either because they don't read often or simply don't know what type of books are on offer for them. For this reason, I decided to start up a new series on my blog entitled 'Daisy Recommends', where I will share with you some of my favourite books from a specific genre and hopefully open your eyes to the many titles out there. I hope that this is useful if you're struggling to find a new book to read, and since I'll only choose what I think are the best books, it's probable that you too will enjoy them. Today the focus will be on young adult contemporary novels, so if that's a genre that you fancy then keep reading.

I've always had a love-hate relationship with contemporary novels, but quite recently I've been really enjoying them and found that these easy-reads are both enjoyable and enthralling without being too complex. There's a wide range of novels available within this genre, covering many different themes and events, so it can often be daunting where to start looking. However, this also means that there's pretty much something on offer for everyone, so I'm certain that I'll be able to find a contemporary novel that's perfectly suited to you.

Did I Mention I Love You by Estelle Maskame - After being sent this book by Black and White Publishing, I absolutely fell in love with the entire concept, from the storyline to the characters and everything in between. It's incredibly easy to get into this book and become invested in the events, and before you know it you'll be addicted. However, this book is also insightful and covers a lot of different issues and dilemmas that are frequent in the lives of teenagers. All of the characters are realistic and you can tell that Estelle put a lot of effort into creating such a beautiful series. If you're looking for an adventurous, lovable novel that's full of romance and drama then this will be perfect for you. I actually wrote a review of Did I Mention I Love You in a lot more detail, so I'd urge you to check that out for more information.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky - Written in the form of letters throughout, this book is incredibly unique yet relatable at the same time. It's beautifully written and is powerful, conveying many important themes and messages that aren't usually referred to. The main character Charlie's life is filled with defining moments, lessons to learn from and a whole load of subtle hints towards the truth, making this book an interesting one to read. It's certainly a broad book, featuring some humour yet also some intensely emotional moments, but ultimately being an eye-opener that is worth reading. This coming-of-age epistolary novel is definitely aimed towards those of you who are a bit older and are wanting something mature, emotional and humorous all wrapped together.

Looking For Alaska by John Green - John Green is renowned for writing excellent books and this book is no exception, probably being my favourite out of all of his novels. This has a really informal yet poignant feel to it, whilst being obviously emotional like all John Green books. As a contemporary novel, it covers everyday issues and struggles that average American teenagers may face, along with some more heartbreaking and upsetting themes. The story is written beautifully throughout and, coupled with lovable characters and consistent messages, I easily fell in love with this book. I'm aware that John Green books are part of a trend that passed a few years ago, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try this book, as it's very promising and lives up to expectations.

Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard - I'm sure that most people have heard of this insanely popular TV series (and probably theorised about who A could be for hours on end), yet what quite a few people don't realise is that the concept is based on a book series. Despite only reading the first book, I fell in love with how real everything feels, unlike an artificial world that the author had created, and it wasn't difficult to enjoy it. This book has a perfect blend of many genres, with mystery and romance playing large parts in the contemporary-based novel, which adds to the reasons why I loved it. And for those of you who think you could never read it after finding out what happens on TV, a lot of the storyline is completely different and there are many original ideas that will leave you incredibly shocked.

Summer Days and Summer Nights by Stephanie Perkins - I thought I'd include this book as an extra, as it's one that I haven't read yet but I'm almost certain that I'll love it. This book contains twelve short stories, all of which are contemporary romances that are perfect for this summer. There are some extremely popular and talented authors included in this collection, such as Cassandra Clare, Veronica Roth, Libba Bray and Leigh Bardugo just to name a few. From what I've heard, all of the stories are diverse, creative and feature a mixture of emotions, meaning there's definitely something for everyone included. I'm incredibly thankful that Pan Macmillan sent me this book and I can't wait to read it, so I'll have to update you with a review soon!

I hope that this post was useful for you and if there are any amazing contemporary novels that you think I've left out then I'd love to know down in the comments, as I also like receiving recommendations. Thanks for reading and if you have any particular genres that you'd like to see recommendations for in the future then make sure to let me know.

Love from Daisy x

Post a Comment